Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Tend to Only Like Roller Coasters When It's Over

The Circumstance
I haven't been on a roller coaster for years. Somewhere in my life I got old and now rides like that make me nauseated. But when I was young and immortal I chose to go on the very scary, very thrilling "upside down" roller coasters. I would be so scared I had to psych myself up just to stand in line because I dreaded the ride. When the ride started, I would hold on for dear life, clench my whole body, never lift my hands, and often times I was too scared to scream. BUT, when the ride was over? Whew! "LET'S DO IT AGAIN!!!" Why did I put myself through that unnecessary stress? Because I was too stubborn to let fear rule my life.


The Word
Psalm 61:2-4
From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah (Selah = Pause, rest)







Parenthood. 1989 Directed by Ron Howard
Imagine Entertainment and Universal Pictures
Adding this clip to my blog does not in anyway mean that condone or reject this film or its contents, but it does mean I like this clip and it's message.





The Application
Life is a roller coaster. Life does not stay steady and things happen that are not according to my plans. So, when these unplanned things happen, I typically hold on for dear life, clench my whole body, and never lift my hands and enjoy it (and I usually run through scenarios over and over, lose sleep, complain about it, and even blame others for the challenge). BUT, when the moment is over I have more passion and more energy and look back and say, "LET'S DO THAT AGAIN!"
I wish I could enjoy this roller coaster of life. I wish I could lift my hands with complete trust that I'll be taken along the track and arrive at the end in one piece. You'd think, with the Path already set before me, with a trustworthy Person personally Lighting the way, and the obvious fact that I am not qualified to decide how life should be, that I could just let go and enjoy the ride. My husband's choices, my child(ren)'s development and choices, buying a house, finances, health,.... the list goes on and on of things I could enjoy oh so much more if I relaxed my tight grip, lifted my hands to relinquish control to the One who is more responsible than I, and enjoyed the ride. If I am on a roller coaster I WILL go up and down and up and down. Why am I so surprised when this happens in life? I KNOW I will experience hardships. I should EXPECT them. My first reaction should be to duck and cover under the shadow of His wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment